As the great man's guest must produce his good stories or songs at the evening banquet, as the platform orator exhibits his telling facts at mid-day, so the journalist lies under the stern obligation of extemporizing his lucid views, leading ideas, and nutshell truths for the breakfast table.
Cardinal J. H. Newman, Preface to The Idea of a University, 1852

Friday, October 24, 2008

Colchester away, 20th Sept

V & I went on the train again.

We were nearly late for kick-off, because I insisted on going into the town before the match. I've got this idea that we are not spending all this money and time only on the football, so we should at least see something of the places we visit. A steward at the station, guiding fans to the shuttle buses (no parking at their new stadium, so there's a park and ride) told me I could catch the shuttle bus anywhere in the town. That was not true! However, a really helpful bus driver took us from the town to the shuttle buses (I think he may even have diverted his route slightly) and we arrived OK.

Comfortable 3 - 0 win. Great for us, but I felt really sorry for the Colchester fans - they were so miserable on the shuttle bus to the station. One of them asked ne what I thought of their new ground. When I said how nice it was, he agreed but 'just a pity we can't play any decent football in there'.

As usual, the home fans were encountered in the bus were friendly, just one old chap, as we got in the bus at the end and he saw our shirts: "bloody stupid name for a football club".

No comments: